The ramparts

The Gallo-roman sections of the ramparts are characterized by an alternation of brick chains and layers of small materials. These ruins demarcate the northern side of a castrum built in the South of the conurbation at the end of the 3rd century.

Contact

Boulevard Jean Rose
77100 Meaux

01 64 33 02 26

The ramparts - Meaux

In all likelihood, it was used by inhabitants as a shelter at the times of barbarian invasions.
The Crossbowman Tower is an example of the network of defensive towers constructed in the 15th century to reinforce the city’s fortifications. From 1563, it was ceded to the crossbowmen company, who could practice crossbow shooting outside the city’s walls.
The ramparts extend over 250m along the Jean Rose boulevard, next to the Bossuet garden.
Erected at the end of the 3rd century, they have been reworked and extended several times since the Middle Ages, notably during the 14th and 15th centuries through the construction of circular defensive towers, at varying distances.

Our good plan: It is possible to overlook the Remparts by accessing the Remparts garden from the bottom of the Bossuet garden (Saturdays and Sundays, from May to September from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.).